The district is named after its Headquarter town, Unnao. About 1200 years ago,
the site of this town was covered with extensive forests. Godo Singh, a Chauhan
Rajput, cleared the forests probably in the the 3rd quarter of the 12th Century
and founded a town, called Sawai Godo, which shortly afterwards passed into the
hands of the rulers of the Kannauj, who appointed Khande Singh as the Governor
of the place. Unwant Singh, a Bisen Rajput and a lieutenant of the Governor,
killed him and built a fort here, renaming the place as Unnao after himself.